Hishiyasu Shido (司戸 菱安, Shido Hishiyasu) is a very minor character in the manga series Blade of the Immortal , appearing only once, in the very first issue. He is the brother of the fake priest and bounty hunter "Johnny" Gyobutsu and deputy head of the Shinsengumi.
Shido kidnapped Machi, to make Manji come out. When he met Manji, he introduced himself and told him that he killed his brother. He brought 20 men with him and wanted Manji to fight against all of the one-on-one and then he would release Machi. But as Manji told him he would fight him barehanded, he got angry that he won't fight serious, so he let Machi go, but sliced her from behind. As Manji rushed to her, Shido stabbed Manji in the back but was surprised that he wasn't dying. As Manji stood up, he stated he would fight him and Shido to try and count the blades and then proceeded to slash Shido in pieces, without he even be able to properly react or count.
Relationships to other characters
His only known relative is his brother, "Johnny" Gyobutsū. He is the deputy leader of the Shinsengumi, though every gang member that appears in the first issue dies soon after he does.
Weapons and fighting skill
Shido wields a pair of unusual jitte-like blades that share his name("Shido"). They are seen attached to each other via a long chain.
Though he only uses his blades once in the manga, and for a very short time, he shows good movement and good aiming skill(like his brother) as he is able to literally cut Machi into manji-shaped pieces while she is running.
- "The name's Shido... Shido Hishiyasu! Deputy head of the Shinsengumi, the world's worst ronin gang."
- "ENOUGH WITH THE BULLSHIT, MAN!! Don't gimme this "Barehanded" crap, eh?! You're a goddamn SAMURAI! You do that, where does it leave me, eh?! I got twenty guys together to fight one of you!"
- "Heaven above, hell below!"
- "WAAAH! Son of a bitch!! What the hell ARE you, man?! Some kinda freakin' ZOMBIE?!"
- He and "Johnny" Gyobutsu share a similar tattoo under the right eye. Shido's, however, features an extra triangle on it.
- Shido Hishiyasu is an almost literal romanization of "Sid Vicious," the bassist for the band Sex Pistols. Both he and his brother's names are homages to the band.
- His pronged blades, "Shido," are taken by Manji. Manji uses them very often throughout the series.
List of appearances:
- Volume/Tankobon 1 only
- Issue #1 only
- Episode #1 only
- Special character spread with the Swastika Manji carved into his head at the end of Tankobon 24